18 February 2009

Speech Clouds - Again, The Issue Is Race

It's nice to be back to blogging, even briefly.

On Wednesday Attorney General Eric Holder gave a speech at the Department of Justice African American History Month Program. The mainstream media picked up on a signature line - that we're a "nation of cowards" when it comes to discussing race. I thought I'd go back to Wordle to see what the speech was really about, and to see how it matched up with President Obama's speech back in March 2008 in Philadelphia.

Here's Attorney General Holder's speech:

And again, President Obama's speech:

Interesting to me that the word "cowards" doesn't show up in the first cloud - it was the money line and apparently it only needed to be mentioned once for people to get it. As the cloud shows, it's obvious Attorney General Holder was speaking in the context of Black History Month.

I've shown a different cloud version of President Obama's "A More Perfect Union" speech before; I think that's the speech that truly won my vote.

One interesting observation - the word I see rather prominently in Obama's speech that I don't see in Holder's - "white."

Discuss.

No comments: