27 September 2011

Science, politics and PR: I'm a broken record

My science communication posts as a text cloud
I'm going to be away from the blog for a bit, but I saw a great piece from Christie Wilcox at Science Sushi  (via the Scientific American blog network) about scientists and social media.    She struck some themes I know I've mentioned here before... a lot.  Of course, since she's a scientist, she has enormous credibility.  But here's a compilation of what this flack has had to say about this issue, and I think it boils down to this: scientists need to do more and better outreach to non-scientists.  I hope you'll take a look at one or two of these inane rants.

Science has a serious PR problem
Science bloggers discussing scientists discussing science blogs
Orac, mockery, and the absence of outreach
Making science relevant
Science, politics, PR, and social media
Science PR... missing the point
Science needs a strategy
BREAKING: bloggers are misunderstood
So what do you do about it?
My free PR advice to scientists: it's not just about media training
Why science blogs give me hope
Bonnie Tyler's words live on
Ending isolationism in politics, science and social media: the battle for mom
When "rapid response" isn't enough
Science Cheerleader and the brouhaha
Getting serious about climate PR
#scio11: what's next for science online?
Climate change and strategic communications
The Science-to-English dictionary doesn't include the words "fuck off"
#scimom reflections
Beauty pageant contestants vs. science advocates: this isn't helpful
Evolutionary diplomacy
Science has a politics problem
Science has a politics problem, continued
FIRST: "Science is accessible for me."

No comments: