15 September 2010

Transparency FAIL

Time for another blogger ethics panel, I suppose.
Twenty-five out of 32 highly paid consultants to medical device companies in 2007, or their publishers, failed to reveal the financial connections in journal articles the following year, according to a study released on Monday.
I've attended only two major blogging conferences this year, and what struck me more than anything else was how prominent the topic of ethics was at each.  Sessions were dedicated to legal compliance, working with corporate interests in a transparent and appropriate way, how to interact with PR, and so on.  Ethics touched nearly every discussion at each.

I'm thinking more journal editors and traditional publishers might want to attend some of these "new media" conferences.  I think they'll find the rules about ethics and disclosure that most prominent bloggers follow aren't "new" at all.

No comments: