28 March 2009

Priorities

Yesterday, the University of Kentucky fired Billie Gillispie, its basketball coach. His "memorandum of understanding" - both sides never actually completed a long-term contract - essentially says he's now due $6 million. Of course, UK is now saying they'll try to pay less than that.

Even if the "fair" settlement and separation agreement pays him half of that, Billie Gillispie will basically be Kentucky's highest-paid state employee this year.

His job description: NOT coaching the UK basketball team.

The state's higher education budget has experienced some rather significant cuts in the past couple of years. UK employees have been asked to do more with less, as have other state employees.

I realize Gallispie's buyout will probably be funded mostly or completely with "private" money - but I think this encapsulates the problem with our priorities here.

Further, I don't think you'd see this kind of media circus and incessant chatter from everywhere if UK were replacing its provost.

4 comments:

hameedudhaaam said...

This is a good idea for people who actually have some questions or inquiries about this topic. I am so excited to see the discussions that will be made on this thread regarding taxes. I have to say that this kind of topic should really be discussed thoroughly to people who do my assignment finds it helpful so that there won't be no confusions anymore.

Mark Spencer said...

Stunning site! Do you have any accommodating clues for trying essayists? I’m wanting to begin my own site soon yet I’m somewhat lost on everything. Would you prompt beginning with a free stage like or help with assignment go for a paid alternative? There are such a large number of alternatives out there that I’m totally overpowered .. Any thoughts? Welcome it!

julia said...

Yes, I am totally agreed with this one. Your blog post is truly wonderful and awesome for us. Thanks a lot for sharing this article. Now it's time to avail https://zapshutters.co.uk/" for more information.

Acemyonlineclasses.com said...

Spectacular site! Do you have any helpful suggestions for pay someone to do my online class to try? I'm looking to create my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Do you want to start with a free like step or help carry out the mission by choosing a paid alternative? There are so many alternatives that I am completely overwhelmed. Idea? Welcome!