13 May 2008

I can't believe I have to write this post again

Newsflash: PR has a PR problem.

At least that's what I'm seeing as all these apologetic and even angry posts are popping up again from some pretty smart PR people because someone put together another PR "blacklist" (I'm not on it - yet) and another person decided to basically ban everyone from emailing him.

I'm so over this topic. I've written about it a bunch of times. Here's my most recent post, just a couple of weeks ago.

I won't try to speak for anyone else. It's my job to reach out to bloggers and other people who use social media. I try to explain to my clients that it's not about "placements" on blogs, it's about the relationships you build through respect and relevance. If I mess up and someone wants to filter me out, so be it. If they want to call me out on a wiki or something, so be it. I'm a big boy. I worked in politics for years so I've been called a lot worse. If PR pro's like me aren't willing to take the risks, we shouldn't take the job.

So people don't think I'm just talkin' smack, I helped build a big wiki called bloggersandpr.com for the PR industry to help address this problem. Go there and share your concerns and ideas.

No comments: