06 July 2007

an open letter to the French intellectual establishment

Dear really smart French people:

I was just in the middle of sending a note to tease my friend Chris about the Italians taking off their neckties to prevent global warming, when I learned the following:

President Sarkozy has fallen foul of intellectuals and critics who see his passion for jogging as un-French, right-wing and even a ploy to brainwash his citizens.
Apparently in France jogging = rambo or something really manly, which essentially means the downfall of everything French or something like that.

I'm American, which means I'm pigheaded and arrogant. But pigheaded and arrogant also = manly. Americans may not understand much, but we know "manly." So let me explain something to you about manly presidential activities:

Sailing: manly.

Clearing brush: also manly.




Skydiving: Crazy. But also manly.

So please realize that it could be worse for you -- but please also remember that there's actually very little downside to regular exercise.

Warmest regards,
David

No comments: